Rally Reader provides the Lexile measurement for most books in our library and an option to filter your search by grade level and Lexile range. We also believe in empowering you to find books that are a “just right” fit.
First, select a book that you think you’ll enjoy.
- What genres do you like?
- What authors do you enjoy?
- What are your interests? (Sports, travel, arts, science, games, cooking, history, current events, etc)
- Book cover artwork that catches your eye
Once you’ve selected your book, try it out. Read through to the second full page in your book. If you come across a tricky word that you don’t know, put one finger up. If you put five fingers up for five tricky words on one page alone, this book may be too challenging for you right now. That’s okay- you can come back to it when you are ready.
Select a different book and try this same five-finger tricky word process again to make sure you’ve found a book that’s right for you.
This type of book selection work takes practice, so you may have to try a few books before you find one that feels just right.
In addition to the five-finger rule, also consider this:
- Is this book interesting?
- Is this book holding your attention?
- Is this book drawing you into the characters’ lives and storyline?
- Can you understand the story?
- Can you keep track of events and actions?
If you answered yes, keep going!
Some books take a bit of time to develop and really hook you as the reader. However, if you’re able to read the story but it’s just not that captivating, feel free to try something else. There are so many books in the world, occasionally it can feel like a journey to find the right one.
With these tips, and Rally Reader at your side, we hope you can find the right book that will help you grow your reading skills and inspire you to become a lifelong learner!